Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Vegan Rice-A-Roni and Life Lately


Yep, that's my Christmas tree. It's still up. It's just so much work to take the Christmas tree down, and little L has been sleeping in the Pack 'n' Play in the living room, so it's been a good night light for her. Plus, I always feel like taking down my tree is admitting that the best part of the year is over and won't be around for 365 more days. If I keep it up for a month afterwards, that just makes the days until it returns a little fewer.

The above picture is the first Christmas ornament that Lisanna dropped onto the tree. I didn't want to hang it because that was how she put it! =]

Because I've been so busy with life in general I haven't really be crafting or cooking. I did make some clay rocks out of salt, water, and cornstarch for the little elementary school Bible club I co-lead. The kids thought they were awesome, but they all wanted to know if they could eat them. I guess that's because they didn't really harden and looked more like wedding mints than rocks. Ah, well, if they decide to eat them, it'll just gross them out instead of hurting them in any way. I do want to leave you with something though, so here's a way I veganized and added a little extra content to a super simple dinner.

Spicy Vegan Rice-A-Roni
  • Rice-a-Roni Spanish Rice package
  • Earth Balance or other vegan butter
  • 1 green pepper, diced
  • 1 can tomatoes and green chilis mix
1. Follow the package instructions for the rice-a-roni, sauteeing with the vegan butter and the green pepper.
2. Continue to follow directions, substitute the can of tomatoes and green chilis for the can of just tomatoes for a spicy twist.


I started my nannying job. I'm watching a 9 week old boy that is just the best. He is so chill, which is a welcome change from Lisanna's ever changing emotions and moods.


She is in love with him, too. It's amazingly adorable. She wants to pat his head and hold his hand. I'm happy to know that she will be a good big sister some day. =] It is so crazy to see the contrast between her and little G, though. She can do so much more! I guess I didn't realize how big she had gotten until I saw how small she used to be.


Brandon and I have also been looking at housing options. Our lease is up the end of next month and we are wanting to buy a home. We have run into some snags on getting preapproved, thanks to a financial aid mix-up by Brandon's community college. These "snags" plummeted his credit below the score that most financing places are willing to accept. I know that it is all in God's hand, but I'm still feeling a little bummed that what I thought was my future house sold before we could get financing.

 It's all in God's hands. I'm telling myself that over and over again until it sinks in.

Brandon taught a lesson at our little family Bible study last night that really made me feel convicted about my lack of Bible reading. I guess I've just been really lazy about it lately. I used to be so consistent and faithful in reading God's word, but now I really just don't feel like it. I have no excuse, I just don't feel like it. That is so totally wrong. And I'm working on fixing that. I should desire God, but, when I don't spend enough time in His word I get into this slump where I forget how much better life is when I am in His word. I would also have a whole lot more peace about this whole home and financing thing if I was trusting God and anchoring that trust in daily readings of his word. Here's to getting better at that! Now that it's in cyberspace, maybe that will keep me more accountable. 

Psalm 97:11-12
Light is sown like seed for the righteous and gladness for the upright in heart. Be glad in the Lord, you righteous ones, and give thanks to His holy name.  

I also started reading my first book of the year!

1 comment :

  1. His lesson was really good. Very convicting. I was doing good about reading the bible daily before the holiday madness...need to start getting back into it!

    Also, Lisanna and the little guy together are just cutest things ever.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so excited to hear what you have to say! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post! =]