Friday, January 17, 2014

Morning Smoothies



So, as a part of my New Year's Resolutions, I've been eating vegan more and working out. 
It hasn't been too hard to cut out the straight up milk, as I've been slowing weeding that out for a while now. I have already cut back to only using almond milk with my cereal and I am slowing cutting out the grilled cheese sandwiches. It's mostly the desserts that are filled with milk and eggs (cake and ice cream, anyone?) that get me. It should get easier to say no with me trying to eat healthier anyway. 

Oh, Subway has a new veggie pattie and it is the bomb. So freakin' good, no dairy needed. I was so proud of myself, because I got the veggie pattie, no cheese, mustard for the sauce. Oh, I guess that's another thing I struggle with: I love my Ranch. The mustard was good though, I'll get over the ranch eventually.

As far as working out goes, It's been much easier. My new job nannying gets my lazy butt out of bed at 6 and then I just chill out until one or both of the babies wakes up for the day. I can easily incorporate working out into that chilling out time because I'm already up and there are no babies demanding all my attention.

Something I always crave when I'm working out is smoothies. They are natural, easy, full of the vitamins your body needs, and you don't have to sweeten them because fruit is sweet enough. The only problem was that I thought to obtain the thick goodness, you had to use milk. I'm learning how false that is. Sure, you could always use a milk substitute or just plain water if you want to, but I'm telling you: use juice. It is magical. It adds loads of flavor and way more good stuff. Anytime you have anything with strawberries or bananas, use orange juice. I am still trying to find the right juice for mixed berries, but I will get there. For thickness, just add ice. 

Oh, and if you want to add even more healthiness, you can always add a scoop of soy protein powder (not whey, whey is actually a milk product) for a little extra boost. It is surprisingly affordable if you buy it in the bulk section of a health food store.

Here's the smoothie I made this morning that was absolutely delicious!
Vegan Strawberry Banana Smoothie
One Banana
6-7 Strawberries
1 cup orange juice
6-7 ice cubes
And blend! Have a great day everyone and let me know if you find a juice that works well with mixed berries. ;)

No comments :

Post a Comment

I'm so excited to hear what you have to say! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post! =]