Saturday, December 7, 2013

A Vegan Thanksgiving

Brandon and I ran a 5k on Thanksgiving day!
Hey, everyone! Sorry my posts have been so sporadic lately! Life has been crazy with a newly grumpy baby, lots of papers to write and finals to take, holidays, and work on top of all that. Next week is my last week of class so I'm hoping life will slow down a little after this! At least until classes start in the middle of January. Anyway, so on December 7th, here is my long overdue Thanksgiving post! =] 

This Thanksgiving, I decided to have some fun trying out vegan versions of Thanksgiving favorites. I made vegan stuffing, vegan green bean casserole, and vegan pumpkin pie. They all turned out pretty great! The casserole was definitely my favorite though. I will post that one for you first and get the other recipes up over the next few weeks. So without further ado -

Vegan Green Bean Casserole
1/2 Yellow Onion
3/4 cup chopped mushrooms
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Salt and Pepper
1 1/2 cup unsweetened soymilk
2 tbsp vegetable broth
2 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
3 1/2 cups (28 oz) frozen green beans
6 oz french fried onions


1. Saute mushrooms and onion in vegetable oil until onion is translucent. 
2. While that's saute-ing, heat soy milk in a sauce pan over medium-high heat. Do not bring to a boil.
3. Preheat oven to 350F.
4. Mix cornstarch with vegetable broth and add to warm soy milk. Mix well.
5. Remove from heat.
6. Add mushrooms, onion, green beans, and half of the french fried onions.


7. Transfer to a casserole dish and top with the rest of the french fried onions. Cook for 15 minutes or until onions begin to brown. 

1 comment :

I'm so excited to hear what you have to say! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post! =]