Saturday, September 7, 2013

Snail Mail Collective + Old Town Adventure

So last month I participated in the Snail Mail Collective over at The Nectar Collective. It's this awesome little thing where you get to know someone for a few weeks through email, blog stalking, and the like, then you mail each other something to do with your culture. It's pretty cool because I'm learning all about culture this semester at school, so it's a sweet little experiment to go along with it.

"Culture is something that is learned, shared, or adapted."

What's interesting is how different culture is even from one state to another. I had the opportunity to get to know Katie from New York. Her life is a lot different from mine here in Kansas. Part of that, I'm sure, has to do with our different interests, but it's also because of culture.
Katie sent me the awesome journal pictured above that is from a place called The Commons in Ithaca, NY. It's full of liberals and hippies, hence all the "seize the day" sort of quotes. This is definitely in contrast to Kansas where we're full of conservatives who have mapped out their entire lives by college. (like getting married at 19 and having a baby at 21? haha)

Anyway, Katie was an awesome virtual penpal and it was so great to get to know her. Thanks, Katie!

College Hill Creamery (amazing ice cream, great atmosphere!)
So reading about The Commons in NY got me to thinking about what kind of a hang out/shopping center we have here in Wichita. The only place that came to mind was Old Town. Old Town is in downtown Wichita and is full of funky little shops, bars, and restaurants. It also has Old Town Theatre and Grill that has food you can order while watching your movie and $5 movies on Wednesdays. 

Yeah, it's pretty sweet, really, but it's also the best that Wichita has to offer. What you can do is pretty limited with a baby and a budget, but it's still fun to venture down there on the weekends just to get out of the house.
Brandon, Lisanna, and I visited Old Town last night as well as this awesome new ice cream shop in College Hill that opened up just a couple of months ago. Here are some iPhone pictures of our escapades.


These are all quirky little things found at Lucinda's, one of my favorite shops in Old Town!

The buttons I bought for my backpack. =]
Outside the winery in Old Town.

1 comment :

  1. Old town looks very cute and despite the culture differences, looks pretty similar to the commons! The card shop picture looks exactly like what I saw walking into the store where I got the notebook and there's definitely at least one wine shop since Ithaca is also known for its wineries. I'm glad you had fun writing back and forth and I thought you were an awesome penpal :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm so excited to hear what you have to say! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post! =]