Thursday, July 11, 2013

Going Green

This post brought to you by Lisanna actually sleeping long enough for me to accomplish something!



So I slipped a little bit on the whole herbivore thing while I was pregnant. I started off my pregnancy as a vegan and slowly, through the cravings and nausea I started eating poultry, too. After Lisanna was born, I was afraid of not eating enough for her while I'm breastfeeding. 


Yesterday, I talked to a nutritionist about all of this and she gave me the go-ahead to eat however I want. In her words, I could eat only Twizzlers every day and Lisanna would still get all the nutrition she needs. So yay, I'm officially going green today! To celebrate it, I made a couple of quick, easy little salads and some yummy vegan banana nut bread. Here's how. =]

Mom's Pasta Salad:
1 1/2 cucumbers
2 florets broccoli
4 oz mushrooms
3 cups cooked pasta
1/2 container Italian salad dressing

Cook pasta according to package directions.
Drain pasta and rinse with cold water.
Peel and slice cucumber.
Break up broccoli florets, cutting off as much of the stem as you can.
Combine all ingredients.
Enjoy!

Mixed Bean Salad:
1 can black beans
1 can garbanzo/chick peas
2 cups frozen corn
1 can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon chives
1/2 container Italian salad dressing

Combine all ingredients and enjoy.

Vegan Banana Bread
2 cups wheat flour
3/4 cup white granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
3/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350.
Combine wheat flour, white and brown sugars, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon then stir until completely mixed.
In a separate bowl, mix “milk” and vinegar together then let set for 2 minutes.
Add bananas, oil, syrup, and vanilla to “milk” mixture.
Combine all ingredients and pour mixture into a 9” cake pan.
Cook for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Place on a cooling rack for 20 minutes before serving.

2 comments :

  1. Just so ya know....it DOES matter that you eat a nutritious diet. The quality of your breastmilk does change....twizzlers wouldn't quite cut it;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know that! I was just worried about not eating meat. :) there is plenty of nutrition in veggies and legumes and whole grains, I just had to make sure I didn't need the meat, too. :)

      Delete

I'm so excited to hear what you have to say! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post! =]